Friday 16 July 2010

Teeth and BLW

Don't they need teeth to chew?

Indigo got her first two teeth early; first one popped through at 18 weeks and the second one came exactly a week after at 19 weeks... 'Yikes!!' was my first thought, as I am still breastfeeding and plan to continue for a while longer. I have got nipped a few times, but that is another post in a different blog... As for the chewing; at first she was pretty much just sucking on everything we gave her and maybe gumming it a bit if she got some in her mouth, but recently she has started putting those two teeth to better use.

She doesn't so much use her teeth for chewing, but she has discovered that she can use them to take bites with. She manages some rather large bites out of pears, cucumber and whatever else she's given and then just keeps it in her mouth to suck on, she will use the gums at the back of her mouth to chew with (her teeth are front bottom). I keep telling Simon to stop stuffing his face, as it seems she is picking up this habit from him :-)

She has also started scraping the flesh of soft fruits from the skin with her teeth.

So, although she is putting her little (and might I say adorable) teeth to some use, she still uses her gums to chew with, and therefore the answer to my first question is 'No, no teeth nescessary'.

Here is a picture of those little teeth, it isn't that super easy to see them, but try and get a baby to smile so their teeth are showing... and the just hold the pose for long enough to snap a shot of it too... enough said.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for posting about your BLW experience. I'm thinking of trying it myself with my 6-month-old and it's nice to see what foods have worked for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Well, I highly recommend BLW, we are having the best time with it. It is such a relaxed approached, which is exactely what we need in our busy lives, and Indigo loves it too.

    ReplyDelete