Wednesday 28 July 2010

BLW and breastfeeding.

When I started thinking about weaning I was interested to know how quickly Indigo's milk intake would change. With Baby Led Weaning Indigo should naturally start taking less milk when she is eating more 'real' food, so no need to try and control how much milk she gets and when.

So, we are about a month into our weaning experience and so far I don't think Indigo is taking any less milk. I am still feeding on demand, and although the amount of feeds she takes hasn't changed much, the spacing of them seem to have. She has generally slept long nights and fed frequently during the days, she was feeding every 2 hours during the day untill we started weaning. Now she seems to cluster feed in the morning and evenings and then have one long stretch between feeds in the middle of the day. She goes up to 4 hours, sometimes even 5, between feeds in the middle of the day.

I should mention that she normally joins us for meals 3 times a day (unless she happens to be sleeping), and although alot of food ends up on the floor, some does get through - the proof is in the nappy (need I say more...?). So I assume that this new feeding pattern is a result of her taking in more solids.

I will try and update on breastfeeding every month or so to see how things change. At the moment I am definitely her main source of nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment