Monday 16 August 2010

Baby food

Today I bought my first item of real baby food made especially for babies. When we visited Emma and Oscar earlier for a quick coffee (for the mommies of course) Indigo tried one of Oscar's Organix baby rice cakes. I have hardly cast a glance at the baby food isle in the supermarket since starting Baby Led Weaning as I was expecting to find mostly purees, baby rice and rusks, which of course are irrelevant to us; but since Indigo enjoyed these rice cakes I ventured into the baby food isle to get her some.

I hadn't really thought to offer Indigo rice cakes as I am not particularly keen myself, but they make a good alternative to bread sticks I suppose. You can get normal size rice cakes without added salt, but the Organix baby rice cakes are baby size (surprise surprise) and come in different flavours with a 'no junk' promise. I bought the tomato and carrot flavoured rice cakes, as they had no plain ones left, and I was happy to see that the ingredients listed were simply: Organic wholegrain rice, organic carrot juice concentrate, organic tomato juice concentrate and Thiamin (vitamin B1). So the Organix brand keep their promise about 'no junk' and I thought they tasted okay too, Simon wasn't so keen though (not that we go around eating Indigo's food...).

Anyway, before this turns into an Organix sales pitch... I don't think I will be buying lots more specific baby food products, although there were a few non-pureed products on the shelves (biscuits and such) in aforementioned baby food isle, but I might get the rice cakes again. The best thing about these rice cakes is that they stopped the awful teeth grinding Indigo has started since her first top tooth poked through a few days ago... it is nails-across-blackboard type sounds she produces when she grinds her teeth, so she might be eating alot of rice cakes till that phase is over and done with.

On the subject of teeth, it won't be long until all four front teeth at the top will be through, so I will report back on how or if that changes her eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment